The United Methodist Church of Patchogue was among 16 historic religious properties in New York to receive a Sacred Site grant from the New York Landmarks Conservancy. The New York Landmarks Conservancy awarded $65,500 in Sacred Sites Grants to the Long Island congregations to pay for damage assessments and repairs. Five churches across Long Island, many built back in the 1800s, will receive funds to restore their properties. These five grants were underwritten by new Conservancy supporter the Robert David Lion Foundation. The grants went to the United Methodist Church of Patchogue (1890), Bethel A.M.E. Church in Setauket (1909), St. Paul’s United Methodist Church in Northport (1873), First Congregational Church in Riverhead (1836), and First Congregational Church in Southold (1803)
The United Methodist Church, located at 10 Church Street, received a $20,000 grant to help fund window, roof, masonry and waterproofing repairs. The building is a Romanesque Revival brick structure designed by Oscar S. Teale and built in 1889. It has opal stained-glass rose windows by Tiffany Brothers Studios. The church — the second-oldest Methodist church on Long Island — was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
“Long Island’s long history is reflected in its religious architecture. Religious buildings anchor communities providing a sense of history and place. They are among our most important landmarks,” said Peg Breen, President, The New York Landmarks Conservancy. “Preserving them also allows congregations to continue to offer social service and cultural programs to their communities.”
The New York Landmarks Conservancy is a private nonprofit that helps preserve significant architecture around the state. The conservancy has loaned and granted more than $50 million over 45 years, according to its website.
Since 1986, the Conservancy’s Sacred Sites program has aided more than 750 congregations across New York with grants totaling $12 million, according to a news release. These grants have contributed to more than $740 million in total restoration projects. The program is one of a few in the country aiding landmark religious institutions and the only one assisting an entire state.