Brookhaven Expands Glass Recycling Program with Four More Drop Off Locations
Farmingville, NY – As a result of such a positive response to the Town’s glass recycling program, Supervisor Ed Romaine has announced that the Department of Recycling and Sustainable Materials Management (RSMM) has expanded the glass recycling drop-off locations. The four new locations are the Henrietta Acampora Recreation Center in Blue Point; Mastic Recreation Center; Fireman’s Field in Ridge and the Comsewogue Public Library in Port Jefferson. At every location there are three bins for green, brown and clear glass. Currently, the glass is largely reused for municipal operations wherever sand is needed – road base for internal roads, drainage, construction of landfill, etc. By separating glass by color, the Town has opened the door for larger-scale glass recycling and is currently in discussion with regional glass recyclers to establish a long-term program. The Town plans to add more glass recycling drop-off locations in the future.
Supervisor Romaine said, “The change in how we recycle is a worldwide issue that needs to be addressed on the local level. In the Town, we are taking the necessary steps to help make it convenient to recycle glass and it appears to be working as our glass numbers continue to increase. I thank all the residents who are making the effort to recycle right in Brookhaven.”
The glass recycling drop-off locations in the Town of Brookhaven are:
- Brookhaven Town Hall One Independence Hill, Farmingville
- Brookhaven Landfill 350 Horseblock Road, Brookhaven (Open M-F 7am to 2:45pm, Sat-Sun 7am to 12 noon)
- Manorville Compost Facility Papermill Road, Manorville (Open 7am to 3pm / closed 11:50am – 12:30pm)
- Holtsville Ecology Center 249 Buckley Road, Holtsville (Open Mon-Fri 9am to 3pm)
- Rose Caracappa Sr. Center 739 Route 5A, Mt. Sinai
- New Village Recreation Center 20 Wireless Road, Centereach
- Town of Brookhaven Parking Lot Across Three Village Inn, 150 Main Street, Stony Brook
- Henrietta Acampora Recreation Center 39 Montauk Highway, Blue Point
- Mastic Recreation Center 15 Herkimer Street, Mastic
- Fireman’s Field 25 Middle Country Road, Ridge
- Comsewogue Library 170 Terryville Road, Port Jefferson Station
Go to www.BrookhavenNY.gov/recycle for more information about the Town’s Recycling program, including the Curbside Recycling Schedule, Acceptable Recycling Materials Guide and Recycling Special Events.